(1) Two Land Councils may, by joint written notice given to the Minister, request the Minister to vary the boundaries of the areas of the Councils, so that a specified area:
(a) ceases to be part of the area of one of those Councils; and
(b) becomes part of the area of the other Council.
(2) A Land Council must not make a request under subsection (1) unless the Council is satisfied that:
(a) the traditional Aboriginal owners (if any) of the land in the specified area understand the nature and purpose of the proposed variation and, as a group, consent to it; and
(b) any Aboriginal community or group that may be affected by the proposed variation has been consulted and has had adequate opportunity to express its view to the Council.
(3) If the Minister receives a request under subsection (1), the Minister may, by writing, vary the boundaries of the areas of the Land Councils in accordance with the request.
(4) The Minister must publish an instrument under subsection (3) in the Gazette.
Notice not a legislative instrument
(5) An instrument under subsection (3) is not a legislative instrument.