(1) The Minister shall, as soon as practicable after the establishment of a Land Council, or at any time when the office of Chair of a Land Council is vacant, convene a meeting of that Council for the purpose of electing a member of that Council as the Chair of that Council.
(2) The Minister shall appoint one of the members of the Council to preside at a meeting referred to in subsection (1).
(3) When a Chair is elected at a meeting referred to in subsection (1), the Chair shall preside at that meeting in place of the person appointed by the Minister under subsection (2).
(4) A Land Council shall, as soon as practicable after its establishment, elect a member of that Council as the Deputy Chair of that Council and shall, thereafter, whenever the position of Deputy Chair is vacant, elect a new Deputy Chair.
(5) Subject to subsection (6), a person elected as the Chair or the Deputy Chair of a Land Council under this section holds office for a period of 3 years, and is eligible for re-election.
(6) A Land Council may, at any time, by resolution, elect a new Chair or Deputy Chair and, on the passing of such a resolution, the person who held that office immediately before that resolution was passed ceases to hold that office.
(7) A co-opted member of a Land Council is not eligible to be elected as the Chair or the Deputy Chair of the Land Council.