(1) This section applies in relation to:
(a) a conveyance that is subject to biosecurity control; or
(b) a conveyance that is carrying goods that are subject to biosecurity control.
(2) A biosecurity officer may direct the person in charge or the operator of the conveyance to:
(a) permit the biosecurity officer to board the conveyance; and
(b) by all reasonable means, facilitate the boarding of the conveyance by the biosecurity officer.
Note 1: For powers and obligations after a biosecurity officer has boarded a conveyance, see section 556.
Note 2: See also section 572 (general provisions relating to directions).
(3) A biosecurity officer may give a direction under subsection (2) for the purpose of exercising powers:
(a) under Part 1 of Chapter 3 (managing biosecurity risks: goods); or
(b) under Part 2 of Chapter 4 (managing biosecurity risks: conveyances).
(4) A person who is given a direction under subsection (2) must comply with the direction.
(5) A person commits an offence if:
(a) the person is given a direction under subsection (2); and
(b) the person engages in conduct; and
(c) the conduct contravenes the direction.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 2 years or 120 penalty units, or both.
Civil penalty provision
(6) A person is liable to a civil penalty if the person contravenes subsection (4).
Civil penalty: 120 penalty units.