(1) The regulations may exempt any one or more of the following from the provisions of this Act, or modify any provision of this Act in relation to any of the following:
(a) any particular conveyance or class of conveyance;
(b) any persons or goods or any classes of persons or goods.
Note: For the definition of modification , see section 2B of the Acts Interpretation Act 1901 .
(2) An exemption or modification may apply only for a specified period.
(3) An exemption or modification may apply only in relation to a particular specified area.
(4) An exemption or modification may be expressed to apply to a person only if the person complies with one or more specified conditions.
(5) This section does not allow the regulations to modify a provision that:
(a) creates an offence or civil penalty provision; or
(b) imposes an obligation which, if contravened, constitutes an offence or civil penalty provision.