(1) ASIC may, on application by any person, approve an auditing competency standard for the purposes of paragraph 1280(2)(b). The approval must be in writing.
(2) If, on application by a person, ASIC approves an auditing competency standard under subsection (1), ASIC may, on application by that person, approve a variation of the standard. The approval must be in writing.
(3) ASIC must not approve an auditing competency standard, or a variation of an auditing competency standard, unless it is satisfied that:
(a) the standard, or the standard as proposed to be varied, provides that a person's performance against each component of the standard is to be appropriately verified by a person who:
(i) is a registered company auditor; and
(ii) has sufficient personal knowledge of the person's work to be able to give that verification; and
(b) the standard, or the standard as proposed to be varied, is not inconsistent with this Act or any other law of the Commonwealth under which ASIC has regulatory responsibilities; and
(c) the standard adequately addresses the level of practical experience needed for registration as a company auditor; and
(d) the standard is harmonised to the greatest extent possible with other approved auditing competency standards.
(4) ASIC may revoke an approval of an auditing competency standard:
(a) on application by the person who applied for the approval; or
(b) if ASIC is no longer satisfied as mentioned in subsection (3).
The revocation must be in writing.
(5) An approval, an approval of a variation, and a revocation of an approval, of an auditing competency standard are legislative instruments.