(1) If ASIC believes on reasonable grounds that a person has contravened a provision subject to an infringement notice under this Part, ASIC may give the person an infringement notice for the alleged contravention .
(2) The infringement notice must be given within 12 months after the day on which the contravention is alleged to have taken place.
(3) A single infringement notice must relate only to a single contravention of a single provision unless subsection (4) applies.
(4) ASIC may give a person a single infringement notice relating to multiple contraventions of a single provision if:
(a) the provision requires the person to do a thing within a particular period or before a particular time; and
(b) the person fails or refuses to do that thing within that period or before that time; and
(c) the failure or refusal occurs on more than 1 day; and
(d) each contravention is constituted by the failure or refusal on one of those days.
(5) If an alleged contravention would, if proved, constitute both a contravention of a civil penalty provision and of an offence provision, the infringement notice must relate to the alleged contravention of the offence provision.