(1) The Information Commissioner has the following functions:
(a) making guidelines for the avoidance of acts or practices that may breach the privacy safeguards;
(b) promoting an understanding and acceptance of the privacy safeguards;
(c) undertaking educational programs for the purposes of promoting the protection of CDR data.
Note: The Information Commissioner also has functions that relate to this Part more broadly (see section 56GA).
Extra matters about guidelines under paragraph (1)(a)
(2) Before making guidelines under paragraph (1)(a), the Information Commissioner must consult the Minister and the Commission about the proposed guidelines.
(3) The Information Commissioner may publish guidelines made under paragraph (1)(a) in such manner as the Information Commissioner considers appropriate.
(4) If there is an inconsistency between the guidelines made under paragraph (1)(a) and the consumer data rules, those rules prevail over the guidelines to the extent of the inconsistency.
(5) Guidelines made under paragraph (1)(a) are not a legislative instrument.
Extra matters about educational programs under paragraph (1)(c)
(6) The educational programs referred to in paragraph (1)(c) may be undertaken by:
(a) the Information Commissioner; or
(b) a person or authority acting on behalf of the Information Commissioner.