(1) The provisions covered by this section are:
(a) the following provisions:
(i) the provisions of this Part;
(ii) the provisions of regulations made for the purposes of the provisions of this Part;
(iii) the provisions of the consumer data rules; and
(b) definitions in this Act, or in the regulations or consumer data rules, as they apply to references in provisions referred to in paragraph (a).
(2) The Commission may, by written notice given to a person, exempt the person, in relation to particular CDR data or one or more classes of CDR data, from all or specified provisions covered by this section.
(3) An exemption under subsection (2):
(a) may or may not be limited to a specified period; and
(b) may apply unconditionally or subject to specified conditions.
(4) The Commission must publish on its website the details of each exemption under subsection (2).
(5) Applications may be made to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for review of a decision of the Commission exempting, or refusing to exempt, a person under subsection (2).