(1) Effect shall be given to Article 21 of the Warsaw Convention in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(2) If, in an action against a carrier under the Convention, the carrier proves that the damage was caused by or contributed to by the negligence of the passenger or the consignor, the damages recoverable shall be assessed in accordance with this section.
(3) The court shall first determine the damages that would have been recoverable if there were no limit on the amount of those damages fixed by or in accordance with the Convention and there had been no negligence on the part of the passenger or consignor.
(4) The damages determined under the last preceding subsection shall be reduced to such extent as the court thinks just and equitable having regard to the share of the passenger or the consignor in the responsibility for the damage.
(5) If the damages as reduced in accordance with the last preceding subsection exceed the maximum liability of the carrier fixed by or in accordance with the Convention, the court shall further reduce the damages to that maximum amount.
(6) Where any case to which subsection (2) applies is tried with a jury, the jury shall determine the damages referred to in subsection (3) and the amount of the reduction under subsection (4).