(1) If, in an action against a carrier under this Part, the carrier proves that the damage was caused or contributed to by the negligence of the passenger, the damages recoverable shall be assessed in accordance with this section.
(2) The court shall first determine the damages that would have been recoverable if there were no limit on the amount of those damages fixed by or in accordance with this Part and there had been no negligence on the part of the passenger.
(3) The damages determined under the last preceding subsection shall be reduced to such extent as the court thinks just and equitable having regard to the share of the passenger in the responsibility for the damage.
(4) If the damages as reduced in accordance with the last preceding subsection exceed the maximum liability of the carrier fixed by or in accordance with this Part, the court shall further reduce the damages to that maximum amount.
(5) Where any case to which subsection (1) applies is tried with a jury, the jury shall determine the damages referred to in subsection (2) and the amount of the reduction under subsection (3).