Commonwealth Consolidated Acts

[Index] [Table] [Search] [Search this Act] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]


How to calculate a tax loss for an income year

             (1)  Add up the amounts you can deduct for an income year (except * tax losses for earlier income years).

             (2)  Subtract your total assessable income.

             (3)  If you * derived * exempt income, also subtract your * net exempt income (worked out under section 36-20).

             (4)  Any amount remaining is your tax loss for the income year, which is called a loss year .

Note 1:       Some deductions are limited so that they cannot contribute to a tax loss. See section 26- 55 (Limit on certain deductions).

Note 2:       The meanings of tax loss and loss year are modified by section 36- 55 for a corporate tax entity that has an amount of excess franking offsets.

             (5)  For subsection (3), if you have * exempt income under section 51-100 (about shipping), disregard 90% of so much of your * net exempt income as directly relates to that exempt income.

AustLII: Copyright Policy | Disclaimers | Privacy Policy | Feedback