(1) There shall be a Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory of Australia.
(2) The Legislative Assembly shall consist of such number of members as is provided by enactment.
(3) Subject to this Act, the members of the Legislative Assembly shall be elected as provided by enactment.
(4) For the purposes of the election of members of the Legislative Assembly, the Territory shall be distributed into as many electoral divisions as there are members to be elected, and a quota shall be calculated by dividing the whole number of electors in the Territory, as nearly as can be ascertained, by the number of members to be elected.
(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), each electoral division shall contain a number of electors not exceeding, or falling short of, the quota calculated under that subsection by more than one-fifth of the quota.
(6) A member of the Legislative Assembly shall, before taking his or her seat, make and subscribe an oath or affirmation of allegiance in the form in Schedule 2 and also an oath or affirmation of office in the form in Schedule 3.
(7) An oath or affirmation under subsection (6) shall be made before the Administrator or a person authorized by the Administrator to administer such oaths or affirmations.