(1) This section applies if:
(a) a person is a member of a regulated superannuation fund (other than a defined benefit member); and
(b) a contribution to the fund is made for the benefit of the person; and
(i) the person has not given the trustee, or the trustees, of the fund a direction that the contribution is to be invested under one or more specified investment options; or
(ii) the person has given the trustee, or the trustees, of the fund a direction that some of the contribution is to be invested under one or more specified investment options, but no such direction has been made in relation to the remainder of the contribution.
(2) The trustee, or trustees, of the fund must treat any contribution to the fund in relation to which no direction has been given, and any part of a contribution to the fund in relation to which no direction has been given, as a contribution to be paid into a MySuper product of the fund.
(3) A trustee commits an offence if the trustee contravenes subsection (2). This is an offence of strict liability.
Penalty: 50 penalty units.
Note 1: Chapter 2 of the Criminal Code sets out the general principles of criminal responsibility and Part IA of the Crimes Act 1914 contains provisions dealing with penalties.
Note 2: For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code .
(4) For the purposes of this section, a direction that it is alleged was given to the trustee, or the trustees, of the fund after 31 March 2013 is taken not to have been given if:
(a) the direction was not given in writing; or
(b) a copy of the direction is not held by or on behalf of the trustee, or the trustees, of the fund.
(5) The regulations may prescribe circumstances in which a direction given to the trustee, or the trustees, of one regulated superannuation fund is to be taken to be a direction given to the trustee, or the trustees, of another regulated superannuation fund for the purposes of this section.
Exception--life policies, investment account contracts and cash investment options
(6) If an asset (or assets) attributed to the person mentioned in subsection (1) is invested in one or more of the following on 31 March 2013:
(a) a life policy under which contributions and accumulated earnings may not be reduced by negative investment returns or any reduction in the value of assets in which the policy is invested;
(b) a life policy under which the benefit to the person (or a relative or dependant of the person) is based only on the realisation of a risk, not the performance of an investment;
(c) an investment account contract the only beneficiaries of which are the person, and relatives and dependants of the person;
(d) an investment option under which the investment is held as cash;
subsection (2) does not apply to the extent that a contribution to the fund for the benefit of the person is invested in the life policy, under the investment account contract or in the cash investment option.