(1) The scheme provides for the reduction of the rate of youth allowance, austudy payment or pensioner education supplement payable to a person who obtains financial supplement.
(2) The scheme contains provisions under which the amount of supplement that the person is eligible to obtain depends on the total rate of youth allowance, austudy payment or pensioner education supplement that the person chooses to receive. Those provisions allow the person to choose to repay some or all of the youth allowance, austudy payment or pensioner education supplement, or to receive a lower rate of payment of such an allowance, payment or supplement, in order to receive a higher amount of financial supplement.
(3) The scheme provides that the person is not liable to pay interest to the financial corporation in respect of financial supplement received by the person, but provides for payment by the Commonwealth, without cost to the person, to the financial corporation of a subsidy that includes an amount in lieu of interest.
(4) The scheme provides for the amount of the financial supplement that has to be repaid under a contract to be indexed on 1 June in the year next following the year in which the contract is entered into, and on 1 June in each later year. The amount by which the supplement is increased by indexation is owed by the person to the Commonwealth and not to the financial corporation.
(5) Under the scheme, the person is entitled, but not required, to make early repayments in respect of the supplement during the period of the contract. The scheme provides for a discount for any repayments made before the end of that period.
(6) The scheme provides that, if financial supplement paid to a person is not repaid in full before the end of the period of the contract, the obligation to repay the outstanding amount of the supplement is transferred to the Commonwealth, and the indexed amount is repayable by the person to the Commonwealth through the taxation system when the person's income reaches a specified level.