(1) A youth allowance is not payable to a person if:
(a) before or after the person made a claim for a youth allowance, the Department is contacted by or on behalf of the person in relation to a claim for a youth allowance; and
(b) as a result of the contact, the Department required the person to do one or both of the following:
(i) attend an interview with a specified person or organisation at a time and place specified in the requirement;
(ii) enter into a Youth Allowance Employment Pathway Plan; and
(c) the person fails to comply with that requirement, or those requirements; and
(d) the person is not undertaking full-time study and is not a new apprentice.
Note 1: For undertaking full-time study see section 541B.
Note 2: For new apprentice see subsection 23(1).
Secretary may decide that this section does not apply
(2) This section does not apply to a person if the Secretary is satisfied, in accordance with any guidelines under subsection (3), that it should not apply to the person.
(3) The Secretary may, by legislative instrument, make guidelines to be complied with in deciding under subsection (2) whether this section applies to a person.
When this section ceases to apply
(4) This section ceases to apply:
(a) when the person complies with:
(i) that requirement, or those requirements; or
(ii) any requirements that the Secretary has required the person to undertake in place of that requirement, or those requirements; or
(b) at such earlier time as the Secretary determines, in accordance with any guidelines under subsection (5).
(5) The Secretary may, by legislative instrument, make guidelines to be complied with in making determinations under paragraph (4)(b).
This section is unaffected by date of claim
(6) To avoid doubt, the fact that a person is taken, because of section 13 of the Administration Act, to have made a claim for a youth allowance on the day on which the Department was contacted by or on behalf of the person in relation to the claim does not affect the operation of this section.