(1) The Advisory Committee on Medicines Scheduling is established by this section.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Committee is to be constituted, and to hold meetings, in accordance with the regulations.
(3) The Commonwealth, each State, the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory are each entitled to nominate a member of the Committee in accordance with the regulations.
(4) The functions of the Committee are as follows:
(a) subject to subsection (5), to make recommendations to the Secretary in relation to the classification and scheduling of substances that are, or are included in, therapeutic goods;
(b) to make recommendations to the Secretary in relation to other changes to the current Poisons Standard (other than the schedules);
(c) to reconsider a recommendation made under paragraph (a) or (b) at the request of the Secretary;
(d) subject to subsection (5), to provide advice to the Secretary in relation to the restrictions (including restrictions as to accessibility and availability) to be imposed in respect of particular substances that are, or are included in, therapeutic goods;
(e) to provide advice to the Secretary in relation to any matter referred to it by the Secretary;
(f) any other functions that are prescribed by the regulations.
(5) Paragraphs (4)(a) and (d) do not apply in relation to substances to the extent that the substances are included in goods other than therapeutic goods.