(1) A person contravenes this subsection if:
(a) the person manufactures any of the following retail packaging of tobacco products:
(i) a container for retail sale;
(ii) a container for retail sale that contains or will contain smaller containers;
(iii) a plastic or other wrapper that covers or will cover a container or containers for retail sale;
(iv) a plastic or other wrapper that covers or will cover a tobacco product that is for retail sale; and
(b) a tobacco product is packaged for retail sale in the retail packaging by another person; and
(c) the retail packaging does not comply with a tobacco product requirement.
Note: There is an exception to this subsection in section 49 (non-compliant tobacco products for export).
(2) A person commits an offence if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Penalty: 2,000 penalty units.
Note: See section 50 in relation to the physical elements of the offence.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), strict liability applies to the element of the offence that the packaging is retail packaging.
Note: For strict liability in relation to a physical element of an offence, see subsection 6.1(2) of the Criminal Code .
Strict liability offence
(4) A person commits an offence of strict liability if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Penalty: 60 penalty units.
Note: For offences of strict liability, see subsection 6.1(1) of the Criminal Code .
Civil penalty provision
(5) A person is liable to a civil penalty if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Civil penalty: 2,000 penalty units.
Note: It is not necessary to prove a person's state of mind in proceedings for a contravention of a civil penalty provision, except in limited circumstances (see section 94 of the Regulatory Powers Act).