(1) A person contravenes this subsection if:
(a) the person:
(i) sells a tobacco product; or
(ii) otherwise supplies (whether or not for consideration) a tobacco product;
to another person (the purchaser ); and
(b) the product is not packaged for retail sale; and
(c) at the time of the supply, the person does not have a contract with the purchaser that prohibits the purchaser from supplying the product in Australia in retail packaging that does not comply with the tobacco product requirements.
(2) To avoid doubt, the contract may allow the purchaser to supply the tobacco product without having packaged the product for retail sale.
(3) A person commits an offence if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Penalty: 2,000 penalty units.
Note: See section 50 in relation to the physical elements of the offence.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (3), strict liability applies to paragraph (1)(b).
Note: For strict liability in relation to a physical element of an offence, see subsection 6.1(2) of the Criminal Code .
Strict liability offence
(5) A person commits an offence of strict liability if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Penalty: 60 penalty units.
Note: For offences of strict liability, see subsection 6.1(1) of the Criminal Code .
Civil penalty provision
(6) A person is liable to a civil penalty if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Civil penalty: 2,000 penalty units.
Note: It is not necessary to prove a person's state of mind in proceedings for a contravention of a civil penalty provision, except in limited circumstances (see section 94 of the Regulatory Powers Act).