(1) It is intended that the practice and procedure of the Court be governed principally by these Rules.
(2) However, if in a particular case the Rules are insufficient or inappropriate, the Court may apply the Family Law Rules, the Federal Court Rules or the Federal Court (Criminal Proceedings) Rules 2016 , in whole or in part and modified or dispensed with, as necessary.
(3) Without limiting subrule (2):
(a) the provisions of the Family Law Rules set out in Part 1 of Schedule 3 apply, with necessary changes, to family law or child support proceedings; and
(b) the provisions of the Federal Court Rules set out in Part 2 of Schedule 3, apply, with necessary changes, to general federal law proceedings.
Note: These Rules have effect subject to any provision made by an Act, or by rules or regulations under an Act, with respect to the practice and procedure in particular matters: see subsection 81(2) of the Act.
* Chapter 1 applies to all proceedings
* Chapter 2 applies to family law and child support proceedings
* Chapter 5 applies to proceedings under the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986
* Chapter 6 applies to proceedings under other Acts including the Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977 and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975 .