Commonwealth Numbered Acts
[Search this Act]
CORPORATIONS ACT 2001 No. 50, 2001 - SECT 818
Liability where identity of principal unknown
(1) This section applies for the purposes of a proceeding in a court where:
- whether in or outside this jurisdiction, a person (in this section called
the representative ) engages in particular conduct while the person is a
representative of 2 or more persons (in this section called the indemnifying
principals ); and
- it is proved for the purposes of the proceeding that the representative
engaged in the conduct as a representative of some person (in this section
called the unknown principal ) but it is not proved for those purposes who the
unknown principal is.
(2) If only one of the indemnifying principals is a party to the proceeding,
he, she or it is liable in respect of that conduct as if he, she or it were
the unknown principal.
(3) If 2 or more of the indemnifying principals are parties to the proceeding,
each of those 2 or more is liable in respect of that conduct as if he, she or
it were the unknown principal.
AustLII: Copyright Policy