[Index] [Search] [Download] [Related Items] [Help]
COMMONWEALTH VEHICLES (REGISTRATION AND EXEMPTION FROM TAXATION) REGULATIONS1997 NO. 194EXPLANATORY STATEMENT
STATUTORY RULES 1997 No. 194
Issued by the Authority of the Minister for Administrative Services
Commonwealth Vehicles (Registration and Exemption from Taxation) Act 1997
Commonwealth Vehicles (Registration and Exemption from Taxation) Regulations
Subsection 17(1) of the Commonwealth Vehicles (Registration and Exemption from Taxation) Act 1997 (the Act) provides that the Governor-General may make regulations for the purposes of that Act.
Subsection 17(2) provides that regulations made for the purposes of the Act may prescribe penalties for the contravention of any regulation made under the Act.
Paragraph 9(1)(b) of the Act provides for payment of a prescribed fee by applicants seeking to have a vehicle included on the register of Commonwealth vehicles established by the Act.
Section 15 provides that regulations may make further provision with respect to vehicles registered under the Act.
The Act was developed in the context of the proposed sale or refinancing by the Commonwealth of its vehicle fleet business, DASFLEET. The Act will, however, apply to all vehicles which bear Commonwealth number plates.
Administration of the register established by the Act is to lie within the portfolio of the Minister for Administrative Services.
The purpose of the regulations is to provide for details of the register of Commonwealth motor vehicles established by section 6 of the Act, in particular:
* the definition of a Commonwealth Authority (regulation 3);
* the prescribed fee for registration and the prescribed period of registration (regulations 4 and 5 respectively)
* the keeping of the vehicle register (regulation 6);
* matters concerning registration certificates, registration labels and registration plates (regulations 7, 8 and 9 respectively);
* notification requirements (regulations 10, 11 and 12);
* offences with regard to registration certificates, registration labels and registration plates (regulation 13); and
* transitional provisions (regulations 14 and 15).
The regulations commence on gazettal.