(1) This section applies if a party is cross-examining or has cross-examined a witness about--(a) a prior inconsistent statement alleged to have been made by the witness that is recorded in a document, or(b) a previous representation alleged to have been made by another person that is recorded in a document.
(2) If the court so orders or if another party so requires, the party must produce--(a) the document, or(b) such evidence of the contents of the document as is available to the party,to the court or to that other party.
(3) The court may--(a) examine a document or evidence that has been so produced, and(b) give directions as to its use, and(c) admit it even if it has not been tendered by a party.
(4) Subsection (3) does not permit the court to admit a document or evidence that is not admissible because of Chapter 3.
(5) The mere production of a document to a witness who is being cross-examined does not give rise to a requirement that the cross-examiner tender the document.