(cf Police Powers (Drug Detection Dogs) Act 2001 , s 9)
(1) A police officer carrying out general drug detection under this Division is to take all reasonable precautions to prevent the dog touching a person.
(2) A police officer is required to keep a dog under control when the officer is using the dog to carry out general drug detection under this Division.
(3) General drug detection under this Division may be carried out as part of a covert police operation, but only if it is authorised by a warrant under this Division.
(4) The provisions of this Division do not affect--(a) the search of a person whom a police officer reasonably suspects is committing a drug offence, or(b) any search of premises that does not involve a search of persons in or on the premises.
(5) Nothing in this Division confers on a police officer a power--(a) to enter any premises that the officer is not otherwise authorised to enter, or(b) to detain a person who the officer is not otherwise authorised to detain.