(1) A council may resolve to make an application to the Minister to approve the abolition of all wards of the council's area.
(2) The council must give not less than 42 days' public notice of its proposed resolution.
(3) After passing the resolution, the council must forward to the Minister a copy of the resolution, a summary of any submissions received by it and its comments concerning those submissions.
(4) The Minister may approve the application or may decline to approve it.
(5) If the Minister approves the application, all the wards in the council's area are abolished with effect on and from the day appointed for the next ordinary election of councillors after the application is approved.
(6) Section 16 does not apply to a resolution of a council to make an application to the Minister under this section.
(7) An application may be made under this section only within the period of 5 months from the commencement of this section.
(8) Nothing in this section prevents a council from making more than one application under this section or from taking action under section 210 to abolish all wards of the council's area.