(1) A council must pay the mayor an annual fee.
(2) The annual fee must be paid in addition to the fee paid to the mayor as a councillor.
(3) A council may fix the annual fee and, if it does so, it must fix the annual fee in accordance with the appropriate determination of the Remuneration Tribunal.
(4) A council that does not fix the annual fee must pay the appropriate minimum fee determined by the Remuneration Tribunal.
(5) A council may pay the deputy mayor (if there is one) a fee determined by the council for such time as the deputy mayor acts in the office of the mayor. The amount of the fee so paid must be deducted from the mayor's annual fee.