(1) This section applies to an election in which there are 2 or more councillors to be elected.
(2) Two or more candidates duly proposed for nomination for election may, before noon on the nomination day prescribed by the regulations, claim to have their names included in a group on the ballot-papers and in the order specified in the claim. The claim is to be lodged with the returning officer.
(3) A claim under subsection (2) may also include a request for a group voting square for the group to appear on the ballot-papers to be used in the election concerned, but only if--(a) in the case of an area not divided into wards--the number of candidates in the group on the nomination day prescribed by the regulations is at least half the number of candidates to be elected, or(b) in the case of an area divided into wards--there are at least as many candidates in the group on the nomination day prescribed by the regulations as there are candidates to be elected.
(4) A group voting square is to be printed on the ballot-papers above the names of the candidates in each group that has duly requested a group voting square under subsection (3), but only if more than one group has duly requested a group voting square.
(5) An application under Part 7 for the name of a political party to be printed adjacent to the name of a candidate on the ballot-papers may include a further request for that name or a composite name to be printed on the ballot-papers adjacent to the candidates' group voting square.