(1) The maximum period for which a council can initially be suspended by a suspension order is 3 months.
(2) However, the Minister may, by order published in the Gazette on or before the end of the period during which the council is suspended, amend the suspension order to extend or further extend the period during which the council is suspended.
(3) A suspension may be extended only if the Minister reasonably believes that an extension is necessary to restore the proper or effective functioning of the council.
(4) The maximum total period for which a council can be suspended by a suspension order, as amended under this section, is 6 months.
(5) The Minister is required to give a council notice in writing of his or her intention to extend the suspension of the council at least 7 days before the order extending the suspension is made.
(6) The notice is to specify--(a) the reasons why it is proposed to extend the suspension, and(b) the duration of the proposed extension.
(7) Submissions in respect of the proposed extension are not to be invited.