(1) The Grants Commission is required to make recommendations to the Minister with respect to the allocation among councils of the total amount proposed to be paid to the State under the Local Government (Financial Assistance) Act 1995 of the Commonwealth in respect of each financial year.
(2) The Grants Commission must make its recommendations in accordance with the requirements of the Commonwealth Act and any relevant principles of allocation approved under that Act.
(3) The Minister may either adopt the recommendations made by the Grants Commission or request the Grants Commission to reconsider its recommendations.
(4) The Grants Commission must, as soon as practicable after receiving a request from the Minister to reconsider its recommendation on a matter, make a further recommendation on the matter.
(5) The Minister must, having regard to or having adopted the recommendations of the Grants Commission, allocate among councils the total amount proposed to be paid to the State under the Commonwealth Act in respect of the financial year concerned.
(6) A council is entitled to receive from the Local Government Financial Assistance Fund, without delay, an unconditional payment of the amount allocated to it.