(1) The driver of a vehicle parked in a free parking area otherwise than as permitted by a notice or sign erected by the council is guilty of an offence.Maximum penalty: 10 penalty units.
(2) The terms of any such notice or sign may relate to any one or more of the following:(a) the time during which the public may use the free parking area,(b) the maximum period for which a vehicle may be parked in the free parking area (or in any part of the free parking area),(c) the designation of a parking space within the free parking area as a space for the sole use of persons with disabilities.
(3) For the purposes of this section, a vehicle parked otherwise than as permitted by such a notice or sign includes a vehicle parked in a parking space designated as a space for the sole use of persons with disabilities, unless:(a) a parking authority for a person with disabilities is displayed on the vehicle in the manner specified in the authority, and(b) the conditions specified in the authority are being observed, and(c) the authority is in force.
(4) If spaces in which a vehicle may be parked in a free parking area are marked by the council (for example, by means of painted lines or by studs, pads or plates), a person must not cause a vehicle to be parked in a free parking area:(a) otherwise than in such a parking space, or(b) in a parking space in which another vehicle is parked, or(c) so that any part of the vehicle is on or across (or partly on or across) any line, stud, pad, plate or other mark defining the space or so that the vehicle is not wholly within the space.Maximum penalty: 5 penalty units.
(5) The driver of a vehicle in a free parking area must at all times observe and comply with any reasonable direction of any authorised person regarding the parking or movement of the vehicle within the area.Maximum penalty: 5 penalty units.
(6) The owner of any private land may enter into an agreement with the council under which the land, or any part of the land, is set aside for use as a free parking area.
(7) It is the duty of the Departmental Chief Executive to establish guidelines to be followed by councils in relation to agreements of the kind referred to in subsection (6), including guidelines as to:(a) the circumstances in which a council may enter into such an agreement, and(b) the matters for which such an agreement must or must not make provision, and(c) the exercise by a council of any functions conferred on it by such an agreement.