New South Wales Consolidated Acts

[Index] [Table] [Search] [Search this Act] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]


What activities, generally, require the approval of the council?

68 What activities, generally, require the approval of the council?

(1) A person may carry out an activity specified in the following Table only with the prior approval of the council, except in so far as this Act, the regulations or a local policy adopted under Part 3 allows the activity to be carried out without that approval.
(2) This section does not apply to the carrying out of an activity specified in Part B of the following Table--
(a) on land within the area of operations of the Sydney Water Board under the Sydney Water Act 1994 , or
(b) on land within the area of operations of the Hunter Water Board under the Hunter Water Act 1991 .
(3) This section does not apply to the carrying out of an activity specified in item 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 of Part B of the following Table on land within the area of operations of a water supply authority constituted under the Water Management Act 2000 .
Note : A person who fails to obtain an approval or who carries out an activity otherwise than in accordance with an approval is guilty of an offence--see secs 626 and 627.
Table Approvals
Part A Structures or places of public entertainment
1 Install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structure on land
Part B Water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage work
1 Carry out water supply work
2 Draw water from a council water supply or a standpipe or sell water so drawn
3 Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe
4 Carry out sewerage work
5 Carry out stormwater drainage work
6 Connect a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer which connects with such a public drain or sewer
Part C Management of waste
1 For fee or reward, transport waste over or under a public place
2 Place waste in a public place
3 Place a waste storage container in a public place
4 Dispose of waste into a sewer of the council
5 Install, construct or alter a waste treatment device or a human waste storage facility or a drain connected to any such device or facility
6 Operate a system of sewage management (within the meaning of section 68A)
Part D Community land
1 Engage in a trade or business
2 Direct or procure a theatrical, musical or other entertainment for the public
3 Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment
4 For fee or reward, play a musical instrument or sing
5 Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device
6 Deliver a public address or hold a religious service or public meeting
Part E Public roads
1 Swing or hoist goods across or over any part of a public road by means of a lift, hoist or tackle projecting over the footway
2 Expose or allow to be exposed (whether for sale or otherwise) any article in or on or so as to overhang any part of the road or outside a shop window or doorway abutting the road, or hang an article beneath an awning over the road
Part F Other activities
1 Operate a public car park
2 Operate a caravan park or camping ground
3 Operate a manufactured home estate
4 Install a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance, other than a portable appliance
5 Install or operate amusement devices
7 Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling any article in a public place
10 Carry out an activity prescribed by the regulations or an activity of a class or description prescribed by the regulations

AustLII: Copyright Policy | Disclaimers | Privacy Policy | Feedback