(cf VR Act, s 10)
(1) Register to be maintained in accordance with statutory rules Subject to this section, Transport for NSW is to maintain a register of registrable vehicles (the
"NSW registrable vehicles register" ) in accordance with the statutory rules.
(2) Register does not provide evidence of title The NSW registrable vehicles register does not provide evidence of title to any registrable vehicle.
(3) Security of information in register Transport for NSW must ensure that the information in the NSW registrable vehicles register that is of a personal nature or that has commercial sensitivity for the person about whom it is kept is not released except as provided by the statutory rules or under another law.
(4) Recording of names of registered operators Transport for NSW may--(a) in the case of a transitional registrable vehicle--continue to record in the NSW registrable vehicles register the names of not more than 2 persons as being responsible for the vehicle, or(b) in the case of any other registrable vehicle--the name of only one person as being responsible for the vehicle.
(5) A registrable vehicle is a
"transitional registrable vehicle" if--(a) 2 persons were recorded as being responsible for the vehicle in the Register (within the meaning of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Act 1997 ) immediately before the commencement of this section, and(b) the vehicle has not ceased to be a transitional registrable vehicle since that time.
(6) A registrable vehicle
"ceases to be a transitional registrable vehicle" on the occurrence of any of the following--(a) the transfer of the registration of the vehicle,(b) the cancellation or surrender of the registration of the vehicle,(c) if the registration of the vehicle has expired and the period within which the registration may be renewed has also expired.
(7) If more than one person is recorded as a registered operator of a transitional registrable vehicle, a reference in any relevant legislation to the registered operator of a registrable vehicle within the meaning of this Act is taken (subject to any statutory rules made for the purposes of subsection (8)) to include a reference to each registered operator of such a transitional registrable vehicle.
(8) The statutory rules may provide for the determination of the respective rights, liabilities and obligations of each registered operator of a transitional registrable vehicle under any relevant legislation.
(9) Other information that may be included in register The NSW registrable vehicles register may include information notified to Transport for NSW under this Act and such other information as Transport for NSW considers appropriate.
(10) Correction of register Without limiting section 62 or any other provision of this section, Transport for NSW may correct any mistake, error or omission in the NSW registrable vehicles register subject to the requirements (if any) of the statutory rules.
(11) Definition In this section--
"relevant legislation" means--(a) a provision of this Act (or a provision of a statutory rule made under this Act), or(b) a provision of any other Act (or a provision of a statutory rule made under any other Act) concerned with the registered operator of a registrable vehicle within the meaning of this Act.