(1) This section applies if a health and safety representative reasonably believes that a person:
(a) is contravening a provision of this Act; or
(b) has contravened a provision of this Act in circumstances that make it likely that the contravention will continue or be repeated.
(2) The health and safety representative may issue a provisional improvement notice requiring the person to:
(a) remedy the contravention; or
(b) prevent a likely contravention from occurring; or
(c) remedy the things or operations causing the contravention or likely contravention.
(3) However, the health and safety representative must not issue a provisional improvement notice to a person unless he or she has first consulted the person.
(4) A health and safety representative cannot issue a provisional improvement notice unless the representative has:
(a) completed initial training prescribed by the Regulations referred to in section 72(1)(b); or
(b) previously completed that training when acting as a health and safety representative for another work group; or
(c) completed training equivalent to that training under a corresponding WHS law.
(5) A health and safety representative cannot issue a provisional improvement notice in relation to a matter if an inspector has already issued (or decided not to issue) an improvement notice or prohibition notice in relation to the same matter.