Schedule 1 Unauthorised names
1. Names that are likely to be confused with or mistaken for:
(a) the name of an incorporated association;
(b) a registered business name; or
(c) a name reserved or registered under Part 2B.6 of the Corporations Act 2001, including the name of a foreign company within the meaning of that Act.
2. Names that, in the context in which they are proposed to be used, are capable of suggesting any of the following if the context suggested does not exist:
(a) that Royal patronage has been received;
(b) that the members of an organisation are totally or partially incapacitated;
(c) connection with:
(i) a member of the Royal Family; or
(ii) the Crown; or
(iii) the Government of the Commonwealth or of a State or Territory of the Commonwealth or a part of the Queen's dominions, possessions or territories; or
(iv) the government of a foreign country; or
(v) a department, authority or instrumentality of the Government of the Commonwealth or of a State or Territory of the Commonwealth or a local government council; or
(vi) ex-servicemen's organisations; or
(vii) Mary MacKillop.
3. Names that include the words "Commonwealth" or "Federal".
4. Names containing any of the following words or phrases or abbreviations of them or words, phrases or abbreviations of like import:
"Building Society", "Chamber of Commerce", "Chamber of Manufacturers", "Chartered", "College of Advanced Education", "Consumer", "Co-operative", "Credit Union", "Executor", "Financial Institution", "Friendly Society", "Futures Exchange", "Guarantee", "Institute of Advanced Education", "Made in Australia", "Oxfam", "Savings", "Starr Bowkett", "State Square", "Stock Exchange", "Trust", "Trustee", "University".
5. Names containing the word "co-operative" or the abbreviation "co-op", except if the association was incorporated under that name or had changed its name before the commencement of the Co-operatives Act (repealed).
6. Names that are misleading in relation to the nature, objects or purposes of the association or in relation to any other matter.
7. Names that are likely to be offensive to members of the public or members of a section of the public.
8. Names containing "United Nations" or the name of any other international organisation prescribed under section 12 of the International Organisations (Privileges and Immunities) Act 1963 of the Commonwealth, except with the consent in writing of the Commonwealth Minister administering that Act.
9. Names containing "bank", "banker", "banking" or "Savings Bank" and any other words, phrases and abbreviations prescribed by sections 66, 66A and 67 of the Banking Act 1959 of the Commonwealth, except with the consent in writing of the Commonwealth Treasurer.
10. Names containing the word "ANZAC" or a word resembling the word "ANZAC", except with the authority of the Commonwealth Minister given under regulation 2 of the Protection of Word 'Anzac' Regulations of the Commonwealth.
11. Names containing words or groups of letters indicative of a part of the armed forces as specified in Schedule 1 of the Defence (Prohibited Words and Letters) Regulations of the Commonwealth, except with the written consent of the Commonwealth Minister administering the Defence Act 1903 of the Commonwealth.
12. Names containing "Scout Association" or the name of any local branch of the Scout Association or a name implying that the association is the Scout Association or a branch of the Scout Association, except with the authority given under section 2 of the Scout Association Act 1924 of the Commonwealth.
13. Names using the designation "Red Cross", "Geneva Cross", "Red Crescent" or "Red Lion and Sun", or wording resembling any of those designations, except with the written consent of the Commonwealth Minister administering the Defence Act 1903 of the Commonwealth or an authorised person given under section 15 of the Geneva Conventions Act 1957 of the Commonwealth.
The following laws relate to the provision of professional services and contain additional restrictions on the use of names:
(a) the Architects Act ;
(b) the Health Practitioners Act ;
(c) the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law;
(d) the Licensed Surveyors Act .