Queensland Consolidated Acts
[Search this Act]
CRIMINAL CODE 1899 - SECT 678K
Restrictions on publication
678K Restrictions on publication
(1) A person must not publish any matter for the purpose of identifying or
having the effect of identifying an acquitted person who is being retried
under this chapter or who is the subject of—
(a) a police investigation, or
an application for a police investigation, mentioned in section 678I ; or
(b) an application for a retrial, or an order for retrial, under this chapter.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the publication is authorised by order
of the Court or of the court before which the acquitted person is being
(3) The relevant court may make an order authorising publication
only if the court is satisfied that it is in the interests of justice to make
(4) Before making an order under this section, the relevant court
must give the acquitted person a reasonable opportunity to be heard on the
application for the order.
(5) The relevant court may at any time vary or
revoke an order under this section.
(6) The prohibition on publication under
this section ceases to have effect, subject to any order under this section,
when the first of the following paragraphs apply—
(a) there is no longer any
step that could be taken which would lead to the acquitted person being
retried under this chapter;
(b) if the acquitted person is retried under this
chapter—the trial ends.
(7) Nothing in this section affects any prohibition
of the publication of any matter under any other Act or law.
contravention of a prohibition on publication under this section is punishable
as contempt of the Supreme Court.
AustLII: Copyright Policy