(1) This section applies if the commissioner is satisfied that the use of heavy vehicles on a road under a mass or dimension exemption (notice) for which the commissioner’s consent was given has adversely affected, or is likely to adversely affect, public safety.
(2) The commissioner may ask the Regulator to—(a) amend the mass or dimension exemption (notice), including, for example, by—(i) amending the areas or routes to which the exemption applies; or(ii) amending the days or hours to which the exemption applies; or(iii) imposing or amending public safety conditions; or(b) cancel the exemption to the extent that, wholly or partly, the exemption has effect in this jurisdiction.
(3) The Regulator must comply with the request.
(4) The Regulator must publish notice of the amendment or cancellation—(a) in the Commonwealth Gazette; and(b) on the Regulator’s website; and(c) if the Regulator considers it appropriate—in another way, including, for example, in a national newspaper.
(5) The amendment or cancellation takes effect—(a) 28 days after the Commonwealth Gazette notice is published under subsection (4) ; or(b) if a later time is stated in the Commonwealth Gazette notice, at the later time.