(1) This section applies if the commissioner is satisfied that the use of heavy vehicles on a road under a mass or dimension exemption (permit) for which the commissioner’s consent was given has adversely affected, or is likely to adversely affect, public safety.
(2) The commissioner may ask the Regulator to—(a) amend the mass or dimension exemption (permit), including, for example, by—(i) amending the areas or routes to which the exemption applies; or(ii) amending the days or hours to which the exemption applies; or(iii) imposing or amending public safety conditions; or(b) cancel the exemption to the extent that, wholly or partly, the exemption has effect in this jurisdiction.
(3) The Regulator must comply with the request.
(4) If the mass or dimension exemption (permit) is amended or cancelled under this section, the Regulator must give the holder of the exemption notice of the amendment or cancellation at least 28 days before the amendment or cancellation is to take effect.
(5) The notice given to the holder must state—(a) the day the amendment or cancellation is to take effect; and(b) the reasons given by the commissioner for the amendment or cancellation; and(c) the review and appeal information for the commissioner’s decision.