Queensland Consolidated Acts
[Search this Act]
POWERS OF ATTORNEY ACT 1998 - SECT 107
Power to apply to court for compensation for loss of benefit in estate
107 Power to apply to court for compensation for loss of benefit in estate
(1) This section applies if a person’s benefit in a principal’s estate
under the principal’s will, on intestacy, or by another disposition taking
effect on the principal’s death, is lost because of a sale or other dealing
with the principal’s property by an attorney of the principal.
section applies even if the person whose benefit is lost is the attorney by
whose dealing the benefit is lost.
(2) The person, or the person’s personal
representative, may apply to the Supreme Court for compensation out of the
(3) The court may order that the person, or the
person’s estate, be compensated out of the principal’s estate as the court
considers appropriate but the compensation must not exceed the value of the
(4) The Succession Act 1981 , sections 41 (2) to (8) , (10) and
(11) and 44 apply to an application and an order made on it as if the
application was an application under part 4 of that Act by a person entitled
to make an application.
(5) In this section—
"attorney" means an attorney under—
general power of attorney made under this Act; or
(b) an enduring document;
(c) a power of attorney made otherwise than under this Act, whether before
or after its commencement.
AustLII: Copyright Policy