(1) The Minister may appoint an alternate member for each member of the Council.
(2) The Minister must consult with the Council before appointing an alternate member under subsection (1).
(3) An alternate member must be appointed in the same manner as the member for whom the alternate member is appointed.
(4) An alternate member may act in place of the member for whom the alternate member is appointed if—
(a) the member is absent or unable to perform the duties of the member's office; or
(b) the member and the alternate member agree that the alternate member is to act in the member's place; or
(c) the member's position is vacant.
(5) If subsection (4)(c) applies, the alternate member must not act in that position for longer than 6 months.
(6) An alternate member has all the functions of the member when acting in the place of that member.
S. 137A inserted by No. 11/2016 s. 80.