(1) A Council must, by resolution, fix fees to be paid for registration or renewal of registration under this Part.
(2) If a dog or cat is required to be registered for part only of a year, the Council may permit a pro rata fee to be paid for that registration which represents that proportion of the year for which the animal is registered.
(3) A resolution under subsection (1) must adopt the principles set out in this section but may make provision for other matters including the circumstances in which a fee or part of a fee may be refunded.
S. 15(4) substituted by No. 76/2005 s. 10(1).
(4) A scheme of registration fees in respect of dogs or cats must apply the following principles—
(a) the maximum fee is to be payable in respect of a class of dog described in Column 1 of Part 1 of the Schedule or a class of cat described in Column 1 of Part 2 of the Schedule;
(b) the reduced fee is to be payable in respect of a class of dog described in Column 2 of Part 1 of the Schedule or a class of cat described in Column 2 of Part 2 of the Schedule;
(c) in the case of a dangerous dog (that is not of a class of dangerous dog referred to in paragraph (d)), a menacing dog or a restricted breed dog, the fee payable must be no less than the amount of the maximum fee for a dog under paragraph (a);
(d) the fee payable in respect of a dangerous dog in any of the following classes is to be the same amount as the maximum fee for a dog under paragraph (a)—
S. 15(4)(d)(i) amended by No. 44/2017 s. 4.
(i) a dangerous dog that is kept, or at any time has been kept, as a guard dog for non-residential premises; or
S. 15(4)(d)(ii) amended by No. 17/2016
s. 17(Sch. 1 item 2).
(ii) a dangerous dog that has undergone protection training in accordance with any relevant business code of practice.
(5) In fixing a maximum fee for registration of dogs or cats, the Council must fix a fee which is at least 3 times greater than the reduced fee.
(6) A Council must waive 50% of a registration fee which a person would otherwise be required to pay for a dog or cat under this section if that person—
S. 15(6)(a) amended by No. 82/2004
s. 13(Sch. item 1).
(a) is an eligible recipient within the meaning of the State Concessions Act 2004 ; and
(b) has completed and given to the Council an application for such a waiver in the form approved by the Council.
S. 15(7) inserted by No. 87/2000 s. 8, substituted by No. 76/2005 s. 10(2).
(7) Subsection (6) does not apply to a dangerous dog, a menacing dog or a restricted breed dog.
Division 3—Powers and duties of Councils with respect to registration
S. 16 amended by No. 83/2001 s. 13, substituted by No. 76/2005 s. 11.