(1) If the holder of a lien over a dog or cat under section 65 sells that animal he or she may retain from the proceeds of the sale of the animal any amounts owing to him or her and any expenses associated with the sale.
(2) Any amount left over from the proceeds of the sale of an animal not paid to the lien holder under subsection (1) must be paid to the owner or if the owner cannot be found to the Consolidated Fund.
(3) If the sale does not realise the full amount owing to the lien holder he or she may sue the owner for the remaining amount.
(4) The lien holder must keep all records of the sale for two years.
(5) A lien holder must not buy an animal which he or she has offered for sale.