(1) A person representing an institution may apply to the Authority in writing for authorisation to conduct a course of study in higher education.
(2) In deciding whether to authorise an institution to conduct a course of study, the Authority may have regard to—
(a) the National Protocols for Higher Education Approval Processes first endorsed by the Ministerial Council on Education, Employment, Training and Youth Affairs on 31 March 2000, as in force from time to time;
(b) any other matter relating to the management or operations of the institution or the administration of the course of study that, in the opinion of the Authority, are relevant to the institution's ability to provide the course of study.
(3) The Authority may from time to time issue guidelines about all or any of the matters referred to in subsection (2) and must publish any guidelines that are issued in the Government Gazette.
(4) An authorisation under this section remains in force for any period not exceeding 5 years that the Authority determines unless sooner revoked.
(5) An authorisation is subject to any other conditions imposed by the Authority.
(6) The Authority may charge any fee fixed by the Minister for investigating any application for authorisation under this section.