S. 139(1) amended by No. 30/2016 s. 37.
(1) The IBAC may apply to a Judge of the Supreme Court or a magistrate for the issue of a warrant to arrest a person, if the IBAC believes on reasonable grounds that the person has—
(a) been duly served with a witness summons; and
(b) failed to appear at the IBAC in accordance with the witness summons.
S. 139(2) amended by Nos 30/2016 s. 37, 6/2018 s. 68(Sch. 2 item 69.3).
(2) A Judge of the Supreme Court or a magistrate may issue an arrest warrant if satisfied by evidence on oath or by affirmation that there are reasonable grounds for the belief under subsection (1).
(3) The rules to be observed with respect to warrants to arrest under the Magistrates' Court Act 1989 (other than section 62 or 64(2), (3) or (4)) extend and apply to an arrest warrant under this section.
S. 139(4) amended by No. 22/2020 s. 7C(1).
(4) A person arrested under an arrest warrant issued under this section—
(a) must be brought before the IBAC as soon as practicable; and
(b) may be detained in police custody until excused from attendance by the IBAC.
S. 139(5) amended by No. 22/2020 s. 7C(2).
(5) The issue of an arrest warrant under this section, or the arrest of a person under that warrant, does not relieve the person from any liability for non-compliance with the witness summons.
S. 140 inserted by No. 28/2012 s. 21 (as amended by No. 82/2012 s. 151(3)).