(1) This section applies despite anything to the contrary in any Crown grant.
(2) The trustees of library land to which this section applies and the council of the municipal district in which the land is located may jointly apply to the Minister for authority to surrender the land to the Crown.
(3) An application under subsection (2)—
(a) must be in accordance with the regulations; and
(b) must include a written consent of any lessee of the land.
(4) On application in accordance with this section, the Minister may authorise the trustees to surrender the land to the Crown, if the Minister is satisfied that the land is no longer required for library purposes.
(5) If the Minister so authorises, the trustees of library land may surrender it by transferring or conveying it to the Crown.