Victorian Current Acts

[Index] [Table] [Search] [Search this Act] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]


Roads on land other than Crown land

    (1)     Any land in a road which is closed by an amendment to a planning scheme vests in—

        (a)     the municipal council in whose municipal district the land is situated; or

        (b)     the Minister, if the land is not in a municipal district; or

S. 44(1)(c) amended by No. 12/2004 s. 166(a).

        (c)     the Minister administering the Road Management Act 2004 despite anything to the contrary in paragraph (a) or (b), if the road was—

S. 44(1)(c)(i) amended by No. 12/2004 s. 166(b).

              (i)     a freeway or an arterial road within the meaning of that Act; or

S. 44(1)(c)(ii) amended by Nos 44/1989 s. 41(Sch. 2 item 31), 49/2019 s 186(Sch. 4 item 33.2).

              (ii)     vested in the Head, Transport for Victoria—

upon the publication of the notice of approval of the amendment in the Government Gazette unless the land is Crown land.

    (2)     The publication of the notice brings the land under the operation of the Transfer of Land Act 1958 if it is not already under that Act.

    (3)     Any person in whom land is vested under subsection (1) may lease, sell or otherwise dispose of the land by public auction, private agreement or otherwise, subject to any terms and conditions the person thinks fit.

S. 44(4) amended by No. 18/1989 s. 13(Sch. 2 item 63(a)).

    (4)     If—

        (a)     a Minister or a council transfers land to any other person under subsection (3); and

        (b)     the instrument of transfer is lodged with the Registrar of Titles together with a copy from the Government Gazette of the notice of approval of the amendment to the planning scheme—

the Registrar of Titles must make any recordings in the Register that are necessary to give effect to the transfer, without the production of any other document.

    (5)     If a Minister or a council decides to keep the land in the road for any purpose, section 54 of the Transfer of Land Act 1958 applies as if the Minister or the council had acquired the land compulsorily.

AustLII: Copyright Policy | Disclaimers | Privacy Policy | Feedback