(1) The Secretary may conduct a public inquiry in respect of any matter which the Secretary considers is a serious public health matter.
(2) The Minister may direct in writing the Secretary to conduct a public inquiry in respect of any matter which the Minister considers is a serious public health matter and is specified in the direction.
(3) The Secretary may appoint in writing a person or panel of persons to conduct a public inquiry and report to the Secretary.
(4) A person appointed under subsection (3) or who is a member of a panel of persons appointed under subsection (3) must be a person who in the opinion of the Secretary has the special knowledge or skills required to conduct the public inquiry.
(5) The Secretary must publish a notice in the Government Gazette specifying—
(a) the terms of reference of the public inquiry;
(b) information relating to the conduct of the public inquiry;
(c) timelines relating to the public inquiry.
(6) If there is a change to any of the matters referred to in subsection (5) in relation to a public inquiry and as specified in a notice published by the Secretary in the Government Gazette under that subsection, the Secretary must, within one month after the day the change is made, publish a subsequent notice in the Government Gazette specifying the change.