(1) The Safety Director may, subject to and in accordance with the regulations (if any), immediately suspend an accreditation if the Safety Director considers it necessary to do so—
(a) in the interests of public safety; or
(b) to protect the safety of rail safety workers.
(2) The Safety Director may immediately suspend an accreditation under this section without holding an inquiry under section 59.
(3) A suspension under this section may be for a specified period or until a specified event or until a further determination is made by the Safety Director.
S. 58(4) amended by No. 23/2013 s. 78.
(4) An accredited rail transport operator whose accreditation has been suspended under this section may, by notice served on the Safety Director, require the Safety Director to hold an inquiry under section 59.
(5) The Safety Director must commence an inquiry under section 59 within 7 days after the service on him or her of a notice under subsection (4).
(6) If an inquiry is held under section 59, a suspension under this section, if then still in effect, ceases to have effect on the completion of that inquiry.
(7) Nothing in this section limits any power of the Safety Director under section 59.
S. 59 (Heading) amended by No. 23/2013 s. 79(1).