(1) Subject to this section, the offender must be present—
(a) during the hearing of evidence under section 18F;
(b) during the hearing of a review under section 18H(1)(a) or (b).
(2) The court may order the officer in charge of the prison or other institution in which the offender is detained to cause the offender to be brought before the court for a hearing referred to in subsection (1).
S. 18P(3) amended by No. 68/2009 s. 97(Sch. item 110.14).
(3) Subsection (2) is additional to, and does not limit, the court's powers under section 332 of the Criminal Procedure Act 2009 .
(4) If the offender acts in a way that makes the hearing in the offender's presence impracticable, the court may order that the offender be removed and the hearing continue in his or her absence.
(5) If the offender is unable to be present at a hearing because of illness or for any other reason, the court may proceed with the hearing in his or her absence if it is satisfied that—
(a) doing so will not prejudice the offender's interests; and
(b) the interests of justice require that the hearing should proceed even in the absence of the offender.
S. 18Q inserted by No. 41/1993 s. 9, repealed by No. 24/1994 s. 6(3).
* * * * *
Pt 3 Div. 2 Subdiv. (1B) (Heading and ss 18Q–18W) inserted by No. 48/1997 s. 12, amended by Nos 10/1999 s. 30, 19/1999 ss 5, 6, 68/2009 s. 97(Sch. items 110.15–110.18), 30/2010 s. 8, 48/2011 s. 16, repealed by No. 65/2011 s. 12.
* * * * *
Pt 3 Div. 2 Subdiv. (1C) (Heading and ss 18X–18ZS) inserted by No. 2/2002 s. 5.
Subdivision (1C)—Drug treatment orders
S. 18X inserted by No. 2/2002 s. 5.