(1) The Minister may from time to time, after consulting the Chief Commissioner, give written directions to the Chief Commissioner in relation to the policy and priorities to be pursued in the performance of the functions of Victoria Police.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), a direction under subsection (1) cannot be given in relation to any of the following matters—
(a) preservation of the peace and the protection of life and property in relation to any person or group of persons;
(b) enforcement of the law in relation to any person or group of persons;
(c) the investigation or prosecution of offences in relation to any person or group of persons;
(d) decisions about individual members of Victoria Police personnel, including decisions in relation to discipline;
(e) the organisational structure of Victoria Police;
(f) the allocation or deployment of police officers or protective services officers to or at particular locations;
(g) training, education and professional development programs within Victoria Police;
(h) the content of any internal grievance-resolution procedures.
(3) The Minister may give a direction under subsection (1) in relation to a matter specified in subsection (2)(e), (f), (g) or (h) if—
(a) an entity specified in subsection (4) has made a report or recommendation in relation to the matter; and
(b) in the Minister's opinion, the Chief Commissioner has not responded adequately to that report or recommendation.
(4) The following entities are specified for the purposes of subsection (3)(a)—
(a) the IBAC;
S. 10(4)(ab) inserted by No. 34/2016 s. 34.
(ab) the Public Interest Monitor;
(b) the Auditor-General;
(c) the State Services Authority;
(d) the Public Sector Standards Commissioner;
(e) a coroner;
S. 10(4)(f) amended by No. 21/2015 s. 3(Sch. 1 item 61), substituted by No. 20/2017 s. 134(Sch. 1 item 18).
(f) in the case of a report or recommendation made under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 , the Information Commissioner appointed under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 ;
(g) a Parliamentary Committee;
S. 10(4)(h) substituted by No. 67/2014 s. 147(Sch. 2 item 42.1).
(h) a Board of Inquiry or Formal Review established under the Inquiries Act 2014 ;
S. 10(4)(i) repealed by No. 67/2014 s. 147(Sch. 2 item 42.1).
* * * * *
(j) a Royal Commission;
(k) a prescribed entity.
(5) The Minister may from time to time, after consulting the Chief Commissioner, in writing vary or revoke a direction given under subsection (1).
(6) The Minister must cause a copy of a direction, and of any variation or revocation of a direction, to be published in the Government Gazette.
(7) The Chief Commissioner must ensure that a copy of any directions currently in force is available on an Internet site maintained by Victoria Police.