(1) A police officer may be appointed under this section to act as a Deputy Commissioner—
(a) during a vacancy in the office of a Deputy Commissioner; or
(b) during a period, or all periods, when a Deputy Commissioner is absent from duty or, for any other reason, is unable to perform the duties of office; or
(c) during a period when a Deputy Commissioner has been appointed as Acting Chief Commissioner.
(2) The appointment of an Acting Deputy Commissioner may be made by—
(a) the Chief Commissioner for a period not exceeding 4 weeks; or
(b) the Governor in Council for any period.
(3) An Acting Deputy Commissioner has all the powers and must perform all the duties of the Deputy Commissioner in whose place he or she is acting.
(4) A person appointed to act as a Deputy Commissioner is eligible to be reappointed.
(5) The Governor in Council may revoke an appointment of an Acting Deputy Commissioner at any time (including an appointment made by the Chief Commissioner).