(1) The Chief Commissioner, on behalf of the Crown, may employ as many Assistant Commissioners as he or she thinks necessary.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Chief Commissioner may employ a person as an Assistant Commissioner only if the person—
(a) is a police officer; or
(b) satisfies the prescribed criteria for appointment as a police officer under section 27.
(3) The Chief Commissioner may waive any of the prescribed criteria in any particular case.
(4) Part 3 of Schedule 1 applies to the employment of an Assistant Commissioner.
(5) Nothing in this Division or Part 3 of Schedule 1 affects or takes away from the application of section 51(a) to an Assistant Commissioner.